Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Technology Tip Tuesday Linky Party

I am linking up today with Blog Hoppin' for Technology Tip Tuesday!   I love technology!  


Mrs Rios Teaches: Fun, easy, and (mostly) free technology tips, tools, and apps for the primary classroom.

If you remember my last series of technology posts (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3), I mentioned that I had gone to a technology conference, and I honestly felt like I was the only person on the planet without an Ipad.  It was so pitiful.  But, I am proud to give you all an update that I am a proud owner of a beautiful, refurbished, Ipad.  I've had it for a couple of weeks and am in love with it.

Yes, I said refurbished.   Let me tell you why I decided to buy a refurbished Ipad.

1)  You save an average of about $100 compared to new.

2)  Each refurbished Ipad comes with a full 1 year warranty, a beautiful little white box, brand new battery and charger, and a brand new outer shell.

3)  Each refurbished Ipad goes through a rigorous, personal inspection.

4)  Since I will be using my Ipad both at home and school, AND was using my own personal funds to purchase it, I thought it best not to spend top dollar on it.  Just in case!

5) Apple is awesome!  I bought my Ipad online on a Sunday.  The estimated delivery date was about 3-4 weeks.  But, I had my Ipad by that Friday.

6) Shipping is Free!  

You can purchase a refurbished Ipad at the Apple Store.  I should warn you that they are not always available.  It depends on their inventory.  Anyway, when you get to the Store, scroll all the way down, and on the left side you will see a category called Special Deals.  Then, just look for Refurbished Ipads.  They have the latest Ipad, and the older Ipad 2 right now.  I bought the Ipad 2  (see reason #4 above) with 16GB, WiFi, and 3G.  This model meets my needs perfectly. 

So, how do I plan on using it, you ask? 

I love Apps!

For my Accelerated Reader friends out there.  "They have an App for that."  I have two stand-alone computers in my classroom for a class of 27 second graders.  The goal I have set for my second graders is 150 books/passed tests this year.  This would be very difficult with only two computers.  But, I can now have them test using the Ipad AND our Ipod donated through DonorsChoose.Org.  So, now we have 4 testing computers!



I set up my class in Class Dojo for fun.  It is an online classroom management tool.  You can use it wirelessly from anywhere in your classroom with the Ipad (Ipods and SmartPhones work, as well). I might try it out!  


There is so much more, but I am a "one foot in front of the other" type girl.  But, I do have "plans".  Here is a great article I found on getting the most out of ONE Ipad in the classroom.

http://eskymaclj.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/only-1-ipad-in-classroom.html

Check out some more great Tech Tips by clicking on the linky button below.



Looking for more technology ideas? Follow me on Pinterest!


Have a great day,

Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great idea! I am heading to the Apple Store this week, I am going to ask about refurbished i-pads. How have you been since the great get together sale weekend?!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...